Artistic directors on video game projects ensure the game’s concepts are brought to life through a range of graphic design elements.
The objectives of artistic directors on video games are focused around three main areas – design, negotiating with other contributors and monitoring that the technique produces the right results. An artistic director leads a team of graphic designers and integrators, ensuring that the graphics support the context of a video’s gameplay. Directors communicate all the information necessary for the team to create a complete model of the game before final production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and support a team through the production process so that the finished product meets the requirements of the customer.
- Maintain communications with external customers and participate in product presentations to customers.
- Communicate graphic themes of style and goals of a product to the team.
- Ensure quality, consistency and compliance of the graphic production throughout the production process.
- Assist the project manager in the selection of resources and setting production schedules.
- Participate in the development of new graphic techniques.
For People Who
- Enjoy being on the leading edge of technologies.
- Thoroughly understand artistic techniques related to the game being produced.
- Have a talent for drawing.
- Have excellent knowledge of the principles of anatomy and design.
- Have a basic knowledge of art history.
- Are bilingual.
- Are creative.
- Can mobilize and inspire a team.
- Are great communicators and can present ideas clearly.
- Have strong management skills.
- Are accountable.
- Have good interpersonal and communications skills.
- Are deadline oriented and able to work under pressure.
- Are excellent team players.
- Have strong analytical and synthesis skills.
- Are adaptable and flexible.
- Are skilled in project management environments.
Several combinations of education and experience can lead to a career as an artistic director. These include:
- College diploma in 3D animation, multimedia integration techniques.
- Preferably a bachelors degree in such areas as arts, music and art history.
- A quality portfolio of previous graphic design works.
- Experience in modeling.
- Five years experience in the video game industry.
- Experience in producing commercially successful films and games that were delivered on schedule.
$ 63 000
Source: Compensation TECHNOCompétences 2010