By understanding how people navigate and use website information, the web useability specialist ensures all aspects of web design meet user needs.
- Multimedia designer
Web useability specialists match technical and functional elements of websites to user needs. Web usability specialists choose the best available options for such elements as content, animations, graphics or sound to make websites easy to navigate and use on a variety of computer interfaces. The concept of web usability applies to all phases of website development through development, design and final evaluation to maximize the consistency of the final site.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze the needs of customers or users to ensure a website or interface concept corresponds to their requirements.
- Advise clients and provide them with support and monitoring in the use of sites and interfaces.
- Ensure effective conceptualization, design and evaluation of websites and interfaces.
- Design navigation of websites.
- Ensure final products meet the benchmarks and standards of website useability.
- Ensure the optimal use of sites and interfaces as well as propose solutions for their increased effectiveness.
For People Who
- Know the market sector of the company they work for.
- Understand and respect the benchmarks and standards for website useability.
- Are able to lead projects to completion.
- Know web user behaviors.
- Understand programming languages.
- Understand computer systems and their environment.
- Are skilled in user support.
- Continually explore best practices, standards of analysis and website useability.
- Have excellent oral and written communications in French and English.
- Have strong analytical and synthesis skills.
- Can adapt to a constantly evolving industry.
- Manage stress well.
- Are team players.
- Are skilled in interpersonal relationships.
- Are good communicators and listeners.
Several combinations of education and experience can lead to a career as a web useability specialist. These include:
Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer or communications
Masters of Communication and Technology
Companies generally require a minimum of three years experience in the field of information technology and relevant experience in the type of activity specific to what the company requires of a web useability specialist.