American Express is a world famous credit card, insurance and travel company with a range of services and products for consumers, corporations and small businesses.
Macleans magazine named American Express one of the best employers in Canada in 2011. The US-based company opened offices in Toronto and Hamilton three years after it was founded in 1850. Its Canadian headquarters are in Markham, Ontario, known as the high-tech capital of Canada. Besides its renowned credit cards, Amex Canada is a leading provider of travel-related services. It also helps companies manage and control their business and travel expenses. It employs 3,700 Canadians coast-to-coast.
The American Express technologies division delivers trailblazing tech on a global scale. The company is big on tech, employing over 8,500 IT workers in seven product development centers and three computing centers around the world. Its information management system processes over 200 transactions per second, every hour, every day. The company has partnered with Foursquare to incorporate location-based technology into its offerings, which will be coming to Canadian customers soon. American Express developers are creating applications for mobile payments and developing cutting-edge chip and PIN technology for maximum security.
Perks @ Work
- Flexible work environment with a relaxed atmosphere
- Worldwide locations and opportunities for international travel
- Retirement savings, travel discounts and stock-option plans
- On-site gym, chiropractor, massage therapist, and emergency child-care facilities at some locations, including head office
- Numerous community sponsored events
- Technology project manager
- Business systems analyst
- Programmer analyst
- Technical architect
- Quality assurance analyst
What's in it for you?
- Internship and full-time opportunities are available for both undergraduate and advanced degree students. Internships may include access to executive speaker series, networking events, town halls, lunches with senior leaders, and cultural activities.
- Amex offers an undergraduate mentoring program between students and senior-level directors to help recent graduates manage expectations, prioritize and, most importantly, set goals and develop action plans to meet them.
- Dream of traveling? Amex provides opportunities to learn and grow professionally in another office for 6−12 months, whether in Canada, the US, Latin America, Caribbean, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Japan, Asia Pacific or Australia.