Information and Information Technology Organization (OPS I&IT)
The OPS I&IT Organization manages the tech needs of the Ontario Public Service. As the government continues to provide more services online, OPS I&IT is busy building and managing websites and building internal tech networks that help make communication between government branches easier and faster. They manage online bookings for ServiceOntario, allowing you to get a health card or drivers licence with ease. OPS I&IT even maintains the programming that coordinates ambulance dispatching and online highway traffic monitoring!
Above all, OPS I&IT is committed to encouraging citizen engagement. They want to make government more inclusive of your opinions, and promote online interaction and discussion with the provincial government. Put your technology skills to use for the public good!
As OPS employees we have a lot to be proud of. Since 2008, the OPS has received the following awards:
- Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2011, 2010, 2009)
- Canada's Greenest Employers (2011, 2010)
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2011, 2010, 2009, 2008)
- Greater Toronto's Top Employers (2011), Greater Toronto Area's Top 90 Employers (2010), Greater Toronto's Top 75 Employers (2009)
- Best Employers for New Canadians (2011)
- Top Employers for Canadians Over 40 (2011, 2010), Top Employers for Canadians Over 50 (2009)
- Wondering about money for university or college? We built the new OSAP app - allowing busy students to get up-to-date information and check their application status on their smart phone. Students applying for OSAP will now know when and how much they can expect to receive from OSAP -- anywhere, anytime.
- Find healthcare interesting? We improve people’s access to healthcare through Telemedicine – using specialized video chat to connect doctors and patients, exchange medical data and conduct “virtual” exams and procedures over huge geographic distances.
- Just got your license? Don’t worry – the OPP now have in-car cameras that can scan license plates, even at high speeds, to figure out if the plates have been stolen or suspended, keeping our roads safe.
- Interested in crime? We built and support the Criminal Justice Video Network making it possible for vulnerable witnesses such as children, remotely located experts, sick or disabled individuals, and incarcerated individuals in other jurisdictions to have their say in court.
Perks @ Work
- Directly impact and improve the lives of Ontarians.
- IT touches on every aspects of the provincial government. Working with OPS I&IT means having access to a huge variety of roles and projects where you can collaborate with talented teams, taking on interesting challenges in a wide variety of areas.
- A new public service culture which is open, energetic and exciting.
What's in it for you
The OPS is a team of dedicated, creative and professional people from many diverse backgrounds and life experiences. Interact with IT professionals, developing creative and innovative solutions that will improve government service delivery for Ontario citizens across the province!
The Ontario Internship Program is a paid, two-year, entry-level employment opportunity that offers you career development in key professional fields across the Ontario Public Service.
This employment experience will add to the depth and credibility of your resume and give you a chance to use and expand your skills and knowledge. It will give you an on-the-job sense of what working in the OPS is like, and may lead to a full-time career in the public service.
There are also a number of co-op specialized opportunities available through university programs. Check out the job board (link below) for more jobs, including part-time summer work!